This dish is one of my family's favorites and is the perfect comfort food for a chilly winter day.
2 1/2 c kidney beans (I use Westbrae Natural organic fat free kidney beans)
1 c tomato juice
1 c uncooked bulgar wheat
1 T olive oil
2 c onion, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 medium celery stalk, diced
2 t cumin
2 t basil
2 t chili powder (or to taste)
black pepper + cayenne to taste
1 medium bell pepper, diced
corn to taste
chickpeas to taste
1 can tomatoes
3 T tomato paste
- Drain kidney beans and dry
- Heat tomato juice to boiling. Remove from heat and add to bulgar in small bowl, cover and let stand 15 minutes. Add beans.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and seasonings. Saute 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and saute until tender.
- Combine with bean mixture and all remaining ingredients in a pot and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes until warmed through.
Kale and Cannellini Bean Soup
This wonderful soup was adapted from Robin Robertson's book, Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker.
2 t olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and chopped
3 c cooked cannellini or other white beans or two 15oz canned beans, rinsed and drained
6 c vegetable broth
1/4 t red pepper flakes
black pepper to taste
8 oz kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet (I prefer 360 Cookware) over medium0high heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cool for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker. Add potato, beans, broth, red pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Add salt to taste if necessary. Stir in the kale, cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.
Miso Potato Soup
Another crockpot soup adapted from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker, Miso Potato soup is a unique combination. Try it, you won't be disappointed!
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
4 c chopped napa cabbage
1 (2-inch) piece kombu sea vegetable (optional)
6 c water
3 T soy sauce, plus more as needed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c white miso paste, or more as needed
1/4 c chopped scallions
- Combine the onion, potatoes, cabbage, kombu, water and soy sauce in the slow cooker. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW until the vegetables are tender, about 6 hours.
- Spoon the miso paste into a bowl and add about 1 cup of the hot broth, stirring to blend and thin the miso. Scrape the miso mixture into the slow cooker and add the scallions. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more miso, soy sauce or salt, if needed. Remove and discard the kombu. Serve hot.